30 October, 2007

Almost Turkey Time

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays because it's all about spending time with your family and friends, and eating good food. I love making the traditional meal, and usually end up doing so at some point in the spring or summer as well as fall. This year, I am very excited to be cooking a heritage turkey, which I just ordered from our local butcher. I am hoping to make this year's dinner as local-food-centric as possible, with as few pre-made ingredients as possible. I'll be making the stuffing from cornmeal I bought at the Butte Creek Mill in Oregon last month, and the corn pudding from local corn I froze this summer, and the pumpkin pie will come from local pumpkins (take that, Libby's!). The only thing I think I will have to import are the cranberries, which just don't grow in California. But if I can get them from an environmentally responsible producer, I'll be ok with that. I plan on giving thanks to my community this year. If you are interested in finding a heritage turkey for your Thanksgiving table, go to http://www.localharvest.org to find a producer near you.

No comments: