I'm leaving for Mexico in the morning (so excited!!), and I thought I'd better put up my annual resolutions post before I go. In spite of some recent unhappiness, 2011 was a pretty great year. I proved myself right: being in my thirties is much better than being in my twenties, and for that reason, I am really looking forward to 2012. I have a feeling that 31 is going to be a big one for me!
As per tradition, let's see how I did with last year's resolutions: I did travel- I went on two road trips, went to Mexico (post to come soon!), Austin, Chicago, Seattle, Palm Springs, LA and New York twice. I read 17 books, saw lots of shows and a good amount of art, and I actually did manage to keep my house tidier than before (although there is still lots of work to do in that department). I didn't take any classes, but Erik and I are finally going to take that knife skills class soon! I spent as much time with friends and family as I possibly could, and it's been wonderful. I went on lots of adventures and even crossed off a few things from my "life list": trampolining at House of Air, going to SXSW, taking a tour of the Paramount theater, seeing a motorhome demo derby... I did lose some weight, and I cooked for myself much more- now I want to go back to cooking for other people more as well! I also did manage to increase my business by almost 50%, which is a huge accomplishment.
So without further ado, this year's goals:
1. Travel. I want to leave the country at least once, hopefully more. On my short list: Turkey, Morocco, Syria, Switzerland, Italy, Argentina, Russia, Ireland, Greece, Portugal.
2. Read. I've been on a roll lately, and that's due partly to subscribing to City Arts & Lectures- hearing writers speak about their work is so inspiring.
3. Go to more cultural events. This includes not just concerts and art shows, but lectures, classes, film screenings, parties, and gatherings of all sorts.
4. Be even tidier. This year I've gotten in the habit of doing my dishes at least once a week (seriously- this is a MAJOR improvement), and I would like to maintain that as well as keeping clothes off my bedroom floor (why is that so hard?), keeping my dining room table clear, and keeping my office organized. Lofty goals...
5. Be more healthy. This (hopefully) will lead to losing more weight, which would be a very nice perk. I already avoid processed foods and refined sugar, but I need to try harder to eat less sugars in general, exercise more, and drink a glass green juice every morning. And floss more. Always.
6. Cross 5 things off my life list. (Top Secret until accomplished.)
7. Entertain more. I used to be in the habit of throwing large, elaborate dinner parties on a regular basis, but it got to be too much for me. I'd like to start hosting more informal, small gatherings- mostly I just want to be able to cook for more of my friends, more often.
8. Keep the business growing, but try to delegate more, and outsource more. Streamline my responsibilities so that I can accomplish more and enjoy working more at the same time. Try to procure more illustration jobs.
9. Say yes. This is an oldie but a goodie- I never regret taking an opportunity to do something new and interesting instead of saying no.
10. Do good. This year I've really leaned on my friends and family for support, and I want to make it a priority to be there for them. I also want to do nice things for strangers when I can.
And, it wouldn't be New Year's without this song. Enjoy!