11 November, 2010

From Afield: Downtown Oakland


As I've mentioned before, I grew up in Oakland and it is very exciting to see new businesses moving into downtown after nearly 60 years of depression. Oakland has such a rich history (it was once known as "the Detroit of the West," back when Detroit was known as "the Paris of the West"), but many major employers left town after the second World War and the commercial areas of the city have never fully recovered. Downtown is full of beautiful art deco buildings and hidden gems, and it's wonderful to see it finally being appreciated. My friend Marina and I wanted to take some pictures of the less-historic parts of downtown before they become obsolete; here's what I captured this afternoon.




























2 comments:

Leah said...

Love it!

Watkins35 said...

what fantastic photos! x