27 July, 2011

Magic Beans!


Remember when I started my little bean seedlings on the patio a few months ago? I had harvested just five beans from my plants last summer (which I planted much too late in the season to grow more), and in April I sprouted them in my kitchen, transferred them to tiny pots, and put them out in the sunshine (along with a few beans given to me by my friend Christine). When they got big enough, I planted them in the ground and Christine helped me build a bamboo trellis for them to climb. Although, sadly, their growth was stunted about a month ago when a neighborhood cat uprooted several of them, I was able to harvest enough beans today to make me very proud. Even though my harvest was small, it was so rewarding to see these beautifully colored Scarlett Runner and Cranberry beans, and to cook them for dinner! Next year I am definitely going to plant more.



No comments: